Lawyer for soldier accused of Afghan massacre charges military with ‘information blackout’


The lawyer representing a US soldier accused of killing 17 Afghan villagers condemned Friday what he called an “information blackout” blocking him from preparing his defense case.

Attorney John Henry Browne said his team had been prevented from interviewing witnesses and injured civilians in southern Afghanistan following the alleged massacre earlier this month.

“We were expecting a lot more cooperation. The prosecutors in this case promised us a lot of cooperation which we’re just not getting,” he told reporters in Seattle.

“We are facing an almost complete information blackout from the government, which is having a devastating effect on our ability to investigate the charges preferred against our client,” he added in a statement.

His client Sergeant Robert Bales, 38, is said to have walked out of his base in the southern province of Kandahar in the early hours of March 11 and mounted a massacre in two nearby villages, with many of his victims women and children.  (Continue story)

Advertisements

Posted on March 30, 2012, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: